Monday, August 31, 2009

Sock Troubles

Last week, I decided to take some time for myself and hit up a local knitting shop (something I've been dying to do since I got my first paycheck). The closest shop to me is the Kirkwood Knittery, so I grabbed my wallet and drove on over, telling myself that I would only buy yarn for Christmas projects right now. I follow a few knitting blogs and most of those knitters waited until the last minute to get their knitting done last Christmas, so I decided that I would not back myself into that kind of pickle. I went in and only allowed myself to buy 4 skeins of yarn and after a nice conversation with one of the employees, I was invited to come back for their Thursday knitting night from 7-9. I had every intention to go back for the knitting night, but then I ended up falling asleep after dinner, so to make up for it, I knitted for the rest of the night...and got no where.
I had decided to try my hand at making a pair of socks; I've been wanting to since January and just haven't gotten around to it, so last Thursday was my night. I got pretty far and was just about to make the heel of the sock when everything fell apart. I had double pointed needles going every which way, some parts of the sock growing in size when others just stayed the small size they were and then it was over. I set down the failed attempt at a sock and walked away. Now I have to rip it all apart and start over or just leave the ruined project where I left it. But the latter is not me, so I'll be starting that project over again shortly and HOPEFULLY I'll have new socks to show for it sooner than later.

No comments: