Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Snorkel, Snorkel!

As part of our program at Sea Base, we are fortunate enough to have the opportunity to snorkel the 3rd most dived site in the world! How cool! On a given day during program, we load up several crews on our big boat and head out about 5 Miles to Looe Key and let the scouts explore.

My first trip out to Looe Key, I was having a hard time equalizing my ears when I dove down, so I didn't get to see much aside from coral, Yellow tail Snappers and Sergeant Major fish, but it was still beautiful.

[Sergent Majors and Brain Coral]

Luckily, when I went back a second time, I got to see a SLEW of cool stuff! There was a big 'ole Goliath grouper that hung out by our boat, a Sea Turtle that made an appearance, a barracuda and I saw a good sized Hogfish.

[A Sea Turtle decided to swim by]

[A Goliath Grouper that hangs out by our boat]

How picturesque!

[Another beautiful day on the water]

[Fan coral, brain coral and sponges, oh my! Oh yeah, and a Parrot Fish!]

As part of program this year, we also started taking the scouts out on the big boat at night to a reef called Munson Rocks, just south of our island. We hand them dive lights let them explore the reef at night. Due to stormy weather, we were unable to go the first week, but the second week, we had the opportunity to venture out and it was such a contrast from daytime snorkeling! I didn't see a whole lot (but I did see another Hogfish!), but it was so cool to snorkel at night - it's like a whole different world down there!

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I'm toying with the idea of getting PADI certified so I can SCUBA dive - I can only imagine how beautiful Looe Key and Munson Rocks would be Scuba diving! Does anyone have suggestions for diving stateside, aside from the Florida Keys?

Until next time my friends...

No comments: