Monday, January 4, 2010

Christmas, last decade

As promised, a blog about Christmas 2009:

Prolouge:
The adventure started out flying to Seattle to meet up with my beau for the holiday. On the second leg of my flight with the final destination being Seattle, I sat in the second row of the coach passengers, across the aisle from a middle-aged, bartender who hasn't flown in 6 years. Eak. We'll call her Mel (I never caught her name, so we'll use this one instead!) As soon as the flight attendants came to ask us our drink orders, Mel asked for 2 beers. It was 7:30am.

About 2 and a half hours into our 3 hour and 15 minute flight, and after a groggy me wakes up from a nap, Mel chats it up with me. I have a sea urching ring I wore that day that she adored and she just loved my boots. Well the four or five or six beers she's had have caught up with her and Mel becomes very vocal about needing to use the restroom, but it's full. Great. Once she is given the opportunity to relieve herself, she comes back and tells me about her reason for visiting Seattle and how excited but nervous she was to fly since it was the first time in 6 years. Once the plane landed, Mel and I wished each other a very merry Christmas and wonderful trips all around. A very nice lady, and I wish her the best, but what an odd start to my trip.

The real thing:
Once Aaron picked me up from the airport, we headed to Prineville, OR to visit his grandparents and family for the holiday. We drove and drove and drove and didn't arrive until 9pm, which made a VERY long day for me, but it was worth the drive. Aaron's brother, sister-in-law, and dad greeted us and we chatted and watched a movie. Then we went to sleep and woke up the next morning to a more eventful day. Homemade eggs benedict for breakfast, freshly fallen SNOW, doing chores (this consists of unloading and reloading hay for many horses and cows), knitting, making homemade tortillas (thanks Gloria!), naps, and getting to visit with everyone. And much of the week consisted of doing these things most days, but we also threw in some board games and pictures along with presents!

[Us on Christmas]


[The grandparent's farm]


[Their horse, Apollo]


List of presents:
-A Tom Tom GPS (Thank you babe!), Apples to Apples (I got to open this one early so we could all play), Knitting books and needles :), Perfume, 2 Wine books and a wine stopper (his family must think I'm a lush...), Bath salts and lotion (lavender in scent), A Gerber pocket knife, Chapstick & a slinky, Portable grocery bag, Coral colored long sleeve shirt, A gift card to Express, Reed diffuseres (lavender scent, which just happens to go with the bath salts), and A HUGE Moonlight Path candle from Bath & Body Works

It was much more than I expected and I had a WONDERFUL time. Thank you everyone for your gifts! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

[LOVED playing Apples to Apples. Let me know if you're up for a game...]

To finish up the trip, Aaron and I decided to take a drive up the Oregon coast for a change of scene and check out some of the sights there. It wasn't quite as cold as I expected it to be and it was beautiful, just like I expected it to be. I think Newport was our favorite stop; I loved the sea lions and Aaron loved the Rogue Brewery.

Here we are right outside of Newport, OR, checking out the waves.
Hope your holidays were as wonderful as mine! Good luck in 2010 and until next time...

1 comment:

Momma Maria said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip! I love the shots of the farm and the horse. It made me feel all warm and squishy intside!